The Pyrenees is a perfect place to improve fitness
Pyrenean trail running & Ariege races
Trail runningin the Pyrenees offers spectacular mountain terrain with fine views and interesting wildlife. See snow capped peaks, mountain Orris(primitive stone shelters) and tranquil lakes. We have plenty of runs for you to enjoy and can offer maps and accompaniment. Several start from the house including the Sinsat run, gently undulating and the much tougher Col de Ussat, Clot de Carboniere, Lujat 12km (+850m).
Dates for the Ariege 2014 trail running race calendar
14-16 août 2014 Montcalm Mountain Marathon
A classic collection of widely aclaimed races http://www.pays-du-montcalm.com/fr/inscription/
Saturday 23rd August, Coma Pedrosa Sky race, Andorra http://www.skyrunnerseries.es/
Sunday 31st August, Trophee de Isard, 15.8km, L’Hospitalet Pres l’Andorre, mountain race
13 September 2014 Trail des Cascades, 350 runners max, 18km 900md+ http://www.traildescascades.sitew.fr/#Course_et_programme.A
See some of the most beautiful waterfalls in the area.
and on the way from the airport?
21 September 2014 Toulouse half marathon and 10k http://toulouse-semi-marathon.com/
26th October 2014 Marathon International Toulouse Métropole!
Montcalm mountain marathon is the classic of the summer and we have a brave group of 6 here at the moment ready to take part.
Images Dan Webber/Shane Ohly
Trails to run locally from the house
- Col de Ussat Circuit via chapel de Lujat
- Run to Ussat from the house and then ascend the col de ussat and descent to the house via Barry d'en Haut http://www.strava.com/activities/92507303 Optional to run up the clot de carbonnaire to make more of a challenge. ~ 9.6km +366m
- House - Col de Ussat Circuit and around to the Chapel de Lujat and drop into Barry d'en haut
- Col de Ussat - Chapel d' Arnave - Tarascon sur Ariege and back on the road - quite an adventure
- Run to Sinsat along the river
- Cross the N20 and drive up to the col de Larnat (alternatevely run there). There are some FFA courses marked out there on the plateau.
Circuit training in Ussat les Bains fitness circuit
Just at the bottom of the road from our square is a park opposite the Thermal Spa and a great little circuit of exercise elements to complete. In addition there is a 1km marked trail for interval training and a 500m additional stretch.
Afterwards why not relax and enjoy a coffee or cake at the cafe opposite. Morning training for 1hr on booking (15 euros/person) – or enjoy it solo.